Are you yearning for the cosy ambience of a fireplace but don’t want the hassle of dealing with soot and ash? Installing an electric log fireplace might be the perfect solution for you. Not only do they provide warmth and charm, but they are also incredibly easy to install.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through the steps to bring the comfort and aesthetics of a fireplace into your home.
1. Gather your tools and materials
Having these tools and materials on hand ensures a smooth and successful installation:
- Electric burner stove or fireplace unit: The centrepiece of your setup.
- Mounting bracket: Secures the fireplace to the wall.
- Stud finder: Locates wall studs for secure installation.
- Screwdriver and screws: Used to attach the mounting bracket to the wall.
- Level: Ensures the indoor fire heater system is installed evenly.
- Measuring tape: Helps with precise placement and spacing.
- Anchors (if needed): Provide extra support for heavy fireplaces.
- Electrical outlet: Required for powering the electric fireplace.
- Extension cord (if needed): For reaching distant outlets.
- Decorative elements (optional): Enhance the fireplace’s visual appeal.
2. Choose the right location
Consider proximity to electrical outlets. Placing the fireplace near an outlet minimises the need for extension cords. This technique also helps simplify the installation process.
Safety should be a top concern. Avoid installing the unit too close to flammable materials like curtains or furniture. Maintain a safe distance from combustibles to prevent fire hazards.
Additionally, think about the room’s layout and purpose. The fireplace should be a focal point, enhancing the ambience and comfort of the space. Ensure it’s visible and accessible from seating areas for maximum enjoyment.
By choosing the ideal location, you can make the most of your electric log burner fireplace.
3. Prepare the wall
This step ensures a secure and aesthetically pleasing setup. Here are the necessary steps and tips:
- Step 1. Measure and mark: Use a measuring tape to determine the desired height and centre of the fireplace. Mark these points on the wall with a pencil.
- Step 2. Find wall studs: Use a stud finder to locate wall studs where you’ll attach the mounting bracket. This ensures a sturdy and secure installation for your stove heater electric.
- Step 3. Check for level: Place a level horizontally on the wall to confirm the marks are level. Adjust as needed for a straight installation.
- Step 4. Confirm spacing: Measure the spacing between the marks for the bracket.
- Step 5. Drill pilot holes: Drill pilot holes into the wall studs at the marked locations. These holes will guide the screws for the mounting bracket.
If the wall surface is uneven, use spacers behind the mounting bracket. Also, double-check your measurements and level before attaching the mounting bracket. Such tips will ensure a level installation and avoid misalignment issues.
4. Install the mounting bracket
Installing the mounting bracket securely is key to setting up your electric fireplace. Here’s a step-by-step guide, including any manufacturer-specific instructions:
- Position the bracket: Align it with the pilot holes you drilled earlier. Ensure it’s level and centred according to your markings.
- Attach the bracket: Use screws provided by the manufacturer to secure the bracket to the wall. Tighten them firmly, but avoid over-tightening to prevent damage.
- Follow manufacturer’s guidelines: Do so for any specific details or recommendations. Some units may have unique requirements for bracket installation.
- Check for sturdiness: Give it a gentle shake after attaching the bracket. This will help you determine if it’s securely fastened to the wall. A wobbly bracket can compromise safety.
- Double-check levelness: Do so before proceeding to mount the electric stove heater unit.
5. Mount the electric fireplace
Here’s how to do it while ensuring it’s level and secure:
- Lift and hang: Enlist the help of a friend or family member to lift the electric fireplace.
- Secure with screws: You’ll typically find slots or holes on the back of the fireplace unit. Align these with the bracket’s corresponding tabs or hooks. Insert the provided screws to secure the unit to the bracket.
- Confirm levelness: Use your level to ensure it’s level horizontally and vertically. Adjust as necessary by slightly loosening the screws and repositioning the unit.
- Tighten screws: Once the fireplace is level, securely tighten the screws. Be cautious not to overtighten, which could damage the unit.
- Check stability: Give the fireplace a gentle shake to verify that it’s securely attached. Ensure there’s no wobbling or movement.
6. Electrical connections
Here’s a concise guide with an emphasis on safety:
- Plug-in location: Position your fireplace close to a standard electrical outlet. Avoid overloading the circuit with other high-wattage appliances.
- Extension cord: If the outlet is distant, use a high-quality extension cord rated for your fireplace’s power needs. Ensure it’s in good condition and doesn’t create tripping hazards.
- Plug-in: Carefully insert the electric log burning stove outlet into the outlet. Make sure it fits snugly.
- Safety first: Never overload the outlet or use damaged cords. Follow the manufacturer’s electrical requirements. Always unplug when not in use or during maintenance.
Prioritise safety during this step to enjoy your electric fireplace without any risks.
7. Finishing touches
- Wire management: Conceal unsightly wires by routing them behind furniture. Or use cable management solutions like cord covers or clips.
- Mantel or surround: Frame your fireplace with a stylish mantel or surround. This adds a decorative touch and can serve as a focal point in the room.
- Artwork or decor: Arrange artwork, mirrors, or decorative items above the fireplace. Such pieces can create an attractive display.
- Furniture arrangement: Arrange furniture to complement the fireplace.
With these ideas, you’ll transform your electric fireplace into a harmonious addition to your space.
Looking for a hassle-free heating solution without the need for installation? Freestanding electric stoves like the ones available at BillyOh are excellent alternatives.
Take this electric fire log burner effect, for instance. Its stylish standalone design boasts a black cast iron style exterior finish. It features two heating output settings and an adjustable thermostat.
Another is this large electric stove. This fireplace-like unit comes in a cream and black colour. Equipped with a powerful 1800W heater and a faux log fire backlit by an ambient LED. Also available in a mid-size model: Mid Size Electric Stove Heater 1800W Double Door.
These stoves offer several benefits, including:
- ease of use
- no installation requirements
Simply plug them into a standard electrical outlet. And voila – you can instantly enjoy the cosy warmth and ambience of a fireplace. They come in various styles, making them a versatile and attractive addition to any room. At the same time, it is an energy-efficient and low-maintenance heating option.
Introducing the warmth and charm of an electric fireplace into your home is easier than ever. With simple installation steps, you can enjoy the ambience without the hassle. Make your space cosy and inviting with these convenient and freestanding options.
Next on your reading list: What Is the Best Outdoor Heater?